Zhang Jike is no doubt one of the most successful table tennis players in history. He could be the two times Grand Slam in table tennis. But unfortunately, it was too hard to achieve the 2 times Gold Medal in the Olympics. In the final match, he lost to Ma Long. Let’s review Zhang Jike biography and his latest equipment (blade and rubber).
Known as one of the best table tennis players in the world, Zhang Jike is the 4th Grand Slam Champion in table tennis history. Zhang Jike (张继科) is known as the “The Tibetan Mastiff” due to his “steel mental capacity”, and his “rebel character”.
- 2016 Rio Olympic Games – Men’s Singles Qualifier
- 2012 London Olympic Games – Men’s Singles Gold Medalist
- 2016 World Championships – Men’s Team Champions
- 2015 World Championships – Men’s Doubles Champion
- 2014 World Championships – Men’s Team Champions
- 2013 World Championships – Men’s Singles Champion
- 2012 World Championships – Men’s Team (CHN) Gold Medalist
- 2011 World Championships – Men’s Singles Champion, Men’s Doubles Bronze Medalist
- 2010 World Championships – Men’s Team (CHN) Gold Medalist
- 2014 Men’s World Cup Champion
- 2011 World Cup – Men’s Singles Champion
- 2015 World Team Cup – Men’s Team Gold Medalist
- 2004 Asian Youth Championships – Boys Singles & Mixed Doubles Runner-up, Boys Doubles Champion
- 2003 World Junior Circuit – Boys Singles Champion
- 2013 ITTF Star Awards – Male Star & Fans’ Male Player of the Year
Zhang Jike’s Biography
- Zhang Jike, the Chinese men’s table tennis team athletes.
- Qingdao, Shandong, Shandong Luneng table tennis team in 2000.
- January 2003 enter the Chinese national team.
- 2008 National Championships
- most famous with a record of victory for the Liberation Army men’s championship, men’s singles straight victory Ma Lin, Wang Liqin (two Olympic champions) and Olympic runner-up Wang Hao
- 2010, Zhang Jike and partner Wang Hao won the Guangzhou Asian Games Table tennis doubles champion.
- May 15, 2011, Zhang Jike defeated Wang Hao in the men’s singles final World Championships
- November 13, 2011 Table Tennis Men’s World Cup, won his first career World Cup champion. 2012 World Table Tennis Championships champion. 2012 London Olympic Games table tennis men’s singles gold and table tennis men’s Team Champion
- 2013 World Championships successfully defending.
- October 3, 2014, South Korea’s Incheon Asian Games table tennis men’s doubles final
|Birthday||16 February 1988|
|Professional||athletes (National Team)|
|Best Title||The 4th Grand Slam Player in the History of Table Tennis|
Will Zhang Jike come back?
The rumor says that he would retire soon due to his poor performance and his personal affairs. However, recently he shows his intention to come back. He said in an interview with Butterfly (his sponsor) that:
“At the moment I want to keep playing as long as possible. I want to participate at the Olympics in Tokyo. I think I still have a chance in both experience and ability”
Zhang Jike’s personal equipment
Zhang Jike is currently using the Butterfly Viscaria blade with the Tenergy 80 on his backhand, and a National version of Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge on his forehand. Zhang Jike is the one that popularizes the Viscaria ALC Carbon blade. His equipment fits very well the playing style of Zhang Jike: Backhand initiate attack with a high quality of spin and speed. Viscaria is considered one of the best professional blade in table tennis.
“I think each player has a different request towards his equipment because the playing style and the playing quality differ from player to player. I place emphasis on spin and speed. The most important thing for me is spin from blade and rubber.”
|Playing style||Aggressive Fast Attack. Initialization with a quick backhand attack. Spinny and Powerful Forehand Loop kill. Very good footwork, and pace control.|
|Quality||Physical Strength and Explosiveness. Tough mental strength at late game.|
|Default||Slow starter and Inconsistent|
|Blade||Custom made Viscaria with a larger handle. (Check price/ read review)|
|Forehand rubber||National Version of Hurricane 3 (2.15mm, 40 hardness degree) (boosted or not/ Check price/ Read Review National Version)|
|Backhand rubber||Pro version of Butterfly Tenergy 80 (harder sponge Max Thickness 2.25 mm, 38 hardness DHS scale, about 48 hardness ESN scale) (Check price/ read review)|
Zhang Jike’s special grip
Why he needs a custom handle for his Viscaria? Because he has a special grip to improve his “micro-adjustment”. His specialty is the quality: Spin, and speed from his backhand.
Zhang Jike’s blade Viscaria
Zhang Jike’s blade is the Viscaria with ALC. That’s why nowadays, Viscaria is one of the most famous blades in table tennis. He confirmed:
“It is some dozen years since I started using this racket, so I have the pride to know everything about its performance. This racket has the Arylate-Carbon inside, so it can deliver a quality ball with enough spin and speed,”
Zhang Jike’s forehand rubber
Zhang Jike’s forehand rubber with blue sponge
Zhang Jike’s backhand rubber
Zhang Jike’s backhand rubber is Tenergy rubbers (Tenergy 05 and then Tenergy 64).
Zhang Jike’s custom blade dimension
Zhang Jike, as many pro players, asked for a custom handle size that fit well his style. The blade dimension can also be ordered for pro players. Like to increase the head size to 1mm to increase the flex and the power of the forehand loop far away from the table. Or smaller head size will favorite the maneuver over the table (like the backhand flick, drop shot, or forehand quick counter).
Here are the main dimension parameters of the blade. Zhang Jike has demanded a customized handle’s size. Note that, there are several types of the handle in table tennis. Zhang Jike’s handle is a larger FL handle.
- a = 157 mm
- b = 150 mm
- c = 5.85 mm
- d = 101 mm
- e= 26 mm
- f = 22.5 mm
- g = 24.2 mm
- h = 258 mm
- i = 35 mm