Zhang Jike is well known for his spinny forehand topspin. His forehand loop is not as powerful as Ma Long’s forehand but is spinnier. Today, I will analyze the table tennis forehand loop technique step by step of Zhang Jike. You improve your forehand loop the topspin ball by learning from the Chinese National Team players.
Forehand Loop Technique 4 steps:
- The stance
- The Backswing
- The Strike
- The Follow through
- Feet should be slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Knees should be slightly bent.
- The body should be leaning forward.
- Rotate your body to the right, from your hips.
- Elbow and bat rotate back with you.
- Bat angle closes.
- Weight shifts onto the back foot, right foot for a right-handed player.
- The body is moving the arm, not the other way round!
Important Tips for the forehand stroke:
- Look at the ball
- Ensure your weight is moving from back foot to front foot during the strike.
- Rotate from your hips not your shoulders.
- Keep a gap between your elbows and body.
- Let your body move your arm.
- Keep your wrist relatively straight.
- Hips and shoulders rotate forwards to meet the ball.
- The arm moves forward with the body.
- Accelerate the forearm slightly as you make contact, similar to doing a military salute.
- Weight transfers to the front foot, left foot.
The Follow through
- Follow through, forward and upward.
- Your bat should finish roughly pointing where you have hit the ball.
- Always get back to the ready position.
Besides these basics guideline, I have learned from Top Chinese coaches:
Many coaches tell you that you should only snap your forearm. This was the old way of looping. If you tell them to loop with their whole arm, they will continue to say its wrong. Watch the top player like Wang Liqin, you can see him using his whole arm when they forehand loop. Learn the Chinese philosophy “Power From The Ground”.
Rotate your hips, not your shoulders, Weight shifts onto the back foot, Weight transfers to the front foot, Follow through, forward and upward.
If you like this tutorial, please share and rate it [ratings]