This is the quick and simple table tennis laws in 3 minutes. I’ve also explained:
- the full rules and regulations,
- the serving rules,
- commonly confused situations during a real match
- and the unwritten Fairplay rules in table tennis.
∎ Page Contents ∎
- The goal of table tennis is simple, like tennis.
- Hit the ball over the net and land on the opponent’s side.
- If they miss the ball, you win +1 point, and your opponent wins 0 points!
- The winner of a game is the first to 11 points.
- If both players reach 10-10, you need to win 2 points in a row to finish the game.
- To win a match you need to reach Best-of-5 of best-of-7 game.
- Unlike tennis, in a ping-pong: the ball must touch your side.
- You must throw the ball at least 16 cm upward
- If the ball touches the net, serve again
- Service must be diagonal.
- Always from your right haft table to the right half table of the opponent.
- In doubles, the server must be rotated.
- You serve 2 points, and the next time, it’s your friend will serve.
Summary in 3 minutes
Here is the quick recap of the basic rules in table tennis in 3 minutes.
Here is an example of the table tennis rules. Even at the high level, the umpire is wrong! Who gets the point?
©PINGSUNDAY. Unauthorized use, translation or duplication of this material is strictly prohibited. Link and excerpt may be used, provided that clear credit is given to PingSunday with the specific link to the original content.
Sign up and join +65k readers. Get free coaching ebooks and coaching advice every week