Today, I talk about “How to get more spin in your table tennis shots: serve, loop, push, forehand topspin, backhand flip, topspin serve, etc. Spin is the “heart” of this sport. When you master the “spin” in table tennis, your tablet tennis level increases dramatically. Without spin, table tennis is no longer table tennis. Professional table tennis players can make the ball spin up to 9000 rpm (rounds per minute).
∎ Page Contents ∎
Why is Spin so important in table tennis?
The Chinese philosophy says that there are 3 aspects of a table tennis shot: spin, speed, and power. Spin is the most important of these 3 terms.
- The spiny but slow ball is not powerful.
- The fastball without spin is not powerful.
- The powerful ball is the ball loaded of spin and speed.
What are Spin, Speed, and Power?
- Spin is how fast in ball rotates around itself (measured by rpm)
- Speed is the velocity of the ball travel (measure by m/s)
- Power is the aspect combined with both the Speed and Spin. The fast with heavy spinny ball comes from a powerful shot.
In this tutorial, I explain “How to spin in table tennis like a pro”. I’ve explained the best way to make a table tennis ball spin.
How to increase the spin on the ball?
Based on the Chinese coaching, the best way to spin the ball in table tennis are:
- Aim to the good contact timing
- Acceleration at the moment of hitting
- Brush throw the ball
1. Aim to have good timing
Timing is very important in table tennis. It’s the moment you hit the ball on its trajectory. Professional players always have optimal timing.
Spin is made in only at the fraction of a second. Don’t just hit at the “same speed”. You need to “accelerate”. Acceleration is the key of table tennis spin.
The more you accelerate fast, the spinnier the ball you make!
3. Brush motion
You need to brush “though” the ball. Brushing is the quick action, that the ball sinks into the sponge.
But you need also to impact the force to the ball by using the blade. Don’t hit only by the sponge. Hit with the blade too. That’s why you need to hit “through” your racket, with quick acceleration!
Key points to maximize spin
The only and the one key point to spin the ball is ACCELERATION.
- Table tennis is not a tennis sport. The ball weight is only 2.7g. It’s not how hard you hit the ball, but it’s how fast you hit the ball in a short amount of time will decide the amount of spin.
- The contact occurs only in a fraction of a second. To spin the ball, apply force at this moment. All of these processes occur very fast.
- Hit the ball with the “accelerated action”, in a short amount of time. That’s the key to raise the spin in your table tennis shots.
So please remember, “spin” is the key in table tennis. To make the ball spin, think about “acceleration”. In your training sessions, try to accelerate at the moment of contact in your shots: topspin, backspin push, flip, backhand topspin, counter loop, aggressive block, chop.
Acceleration speed of the racket during the forehand topspin
As I explained above, that’s the “acceleration” of your racket that decides the spin, (and the speed) of your shots. Acceleration is measured as the velocity of the bat. The advanced player, intermediate and beginners have different “acceleration”. Advanced players and professional players have higher bat’s acceleration speed (measured in m/s).
Racket speed difference between the advanced and intermediate player
- Advanced: 19.4 m/s
- Intermediate: 17.9 m/s
Give your comments, and rate this tutorial 🙂 [ratings]
©PINGSUNDAY. Unauthorized use, translation or duplication of this material is strictly prohibited. Link and excerpt may be used, provided that clear credit is given to PingSunday with the specific link to the original content.
Sign up and join +65k readers. Get free coaching ebooks and coaching advice every week