Today, we will learn one of the most common serve in table tennis “the forehand pendulum serve”. This serve is so popular because with slight adjustments it can make underspin, sidespin, topspin or no-spin, while the stroke will look quite similar. This service is used to put pressure on the opponent.
Watch the full list of 10 basic table tennis for the beginner here.
How to play the pendulum serve in table tennis
- To perform the forehand pendulum serves effectively, you should change the grip on the racket, then immediately change back to prepare for the rally.
- First, prepare your position for this service. Turn your back. This is crucial because the rotation of your body will increase the spin of your service. Some players don’t turn the back enough so they can’t add enough spin and can’t make the deceptive service.
- Second, throw the ball upward and close the body. The closer the ball to the body, the higher quality your service. Your forearm should be relaxed. Please remember, it’s not the forearm will make the ball spin, but it’s the rotation of your body and the acceleration of the wrist. So be relax! Some amateur players are too tense, hence decrease the quality of the service.
- Third, lower the center of gravity of the body. Contact the ball at the net height. This point is very important. If you contact the ball higher, the service is high and can be attacked easily. If you contact the ball too low, you can’t add enough spin to your serve.
3 tips to make this pendulum serve deceptive with heavy spin
- First, use the wrist to accelerate the ball. The faster you hit the ball, the higher spin it gets. You should also use the body mass to add power to your service.
- Second, the body, the forearm should be relaxed. The muscle is soft, not tense. Hit the ball near your abdomen. Because this position is near the rotation axis of your body (the elbow is close to the body).
- Third, vary the contact point on the racket and the timing on your swing to make your service more deceptive. This service is very dangerous, so take the time to practice it.
Please rate and share this free table tennis tutorial.