The forehand drive is the basic and the first technique on the table, that every player must learn. New players should learn this technique carefully because it’s crucial to learn the correct weight transfer. It also helps you to feel the ball and learn how to impact the spin to the ball. In general, before training your forehand topspin, you should practice the forehand drive technique first. Coach EmRatThich will explain the 3 most important tips to have a consistent drive in table tennis.
Forehand Drive Stroke Mechanism
∎ Page Contents ∎
Forehand drive and Forehand Topspin attack share the same mechanism.
- Lower your standing and bend your abdomen.
- Legs are wide as the shoulder (or a little wider)
- The right foot is a little behind the left foot.
Advice to improve the consistency of this table tennis technique
- It’s very important to keep your elbow close to the body. If you hit with the elbow far from the body, your shot is less consistent.
- New players should learn to control the ball first, that’s why this step is very important.
- Please remember: The rotation axis is the waist, but not the elbow. Keep it close to your body.
Watch video above ☝.
3 tips to take away:
- Focus on control and feel the ball.
- Do weight transfer, and rotate the waist to generate the power.
- Keep the elbow close to the body, hit the ball at its highest bounce or sooner.
Hope this tutorial improves quickly your skills. See you, EmRatThich. You should watch my videos about “Top 5 Tips to improve quickly in table tennis”. This lesson is one of the 10 lessons performed by Zhao Yiyi of chuantt. If you want to watch full of this series, go to my YouTube channel “EmRatThich Table Tennis Coach”.
©PINGSUNDAY. Unauthorized use, translation or duplication of this material is strictly prohibited. Link and excerpt may be used, provided that clear credit is given to PingSunday with the specific link to the original content.
Sign up and join +65k readers. Get free coaching ebooks and coaching advice every week