“What is the best table tennis racket?”, and “How to select a table tennis racket?” These are the 2 common questions that every new (beginner) table tennis player asks.
Understanding the parameters of a racket
∎ Page Contents ∎
Beginners often misunderstand the parameters of a racket. Here is the quick recap for you:
- Handle Shape: It’s very important! There are 6 types of handles. Choose the right one that fits your playing style. Handle size is very important. It’s the place where you put your finger to apply the right pressure (place the thumbs on the neck of the blade).
- Blade’s composition: 5-ply, 7-ply, 9-ply, or ALC, or ZLC? Allwood or carbon racket?
- Thickness: The optimal blade thickness is from 5.7mm to 6.1mm in this modern table tennis.
- Weight: The optimal weight of a blade is about 85g to 93g.
- Blade size: Don’t choose a too small racket (lack of feeling and flexibility). Don’t choose too-big head (only for the defender). The optimal size is about 157-160 mm (length), and 149-151 mm (width).
- Class/Speed/Control: There are DEF, ALL+, OFF-, OFF, OFF+, and OFF++ blade. A balance between speed and control. The best range is ALL+ to OFF- for beginners to advanced players.
- Price: Don’t waste your money. Around 20 USD to 80 USD is so good for a good racket. Read here for a cheap example under 40 USD.
- Combo: Knowing how to combine the right rubbers on the right blade is important. Search “table tennis equipment pingsunday” to learn more.
The right racket + rubber combination
What is the best combination (racket + rubber) in table tennis? Best paddle for a beginner? top bat for the spin or for speed? These are the common questions that you asked.
Today, coach EmRatThich will explain 3 types of setup in table tennis. You will understand more about the table tennis equipment, and why Chinese players love using a very hard rubber on a flexible blade.
Watch this video:
The best racket for beginners
Some players asked me:
Dear coach, I’m new to table tennis. So which table tennis rackets should I buy?
The best rackets for beginners usually give you control and spin.
As beginners, you need to focus on the feeling. Because the feeling will help you improve very fast.
How to choose a table tennis racket
There is a list of the top 10 best table tennis rackets. You should read this list to understand more.
“The best racket is the equipment that suite your playing style”.
Understand Table Tennis Equipment
No! Choose a good blade for your playing style!
Do not choose another one’s paddle. Coach EmRatThich helps you understand your table tennis equipment (racket + rubber) under the viewpoint of a Chinese coach.
From now, you can choose your best table tennis combo setup including racket and rubber.
Attentions! Some website just makes a bad review of the paddle. The review is not credible because the equipment is biased to the referral subject.
Watch this video:
Here are my tips to choose the right blade (OFF, OFF+, Carbon blade)
You need to choose the racket that provides you the feeling. It’s the most important factor in table tennis.
The feeling is the good vibration frequency that your hand will fill during the shots.
There are 2 options that help you choose the right racket (paddle) in table tennis.
2 Option to choose the right paddle
The racket quality and table tennis techniques evolve with time. Of course, you are new to table tennis, and you may hear about the best equipment nowadays like Butterfly, Stiga, DHS, Donic, Tibhar, Joola, Cornilleau, Nittaku, Darker, etc. Each year, there are hundreds of new blades, rackets, and rubber are released.
A racket is a combination of the blade and 2 rubbers: 1 forehand rubber, and 1 backhand rubber. You have 2 options:
- Option 1: Choose the best blade, the best forehand rubber, the best backhand rubber. And then glue it, combine it to make your own racket.
- Option 2: Choose the best rackets in the list below.
TO WELL CHOOSE YOUR RACKET trust the real professionals coach!
Option 1 – Build your own racket
I have explained it previously. Knowing how to build your own racket is very important.
It’s the key to learning when you progress in table tennis.
Then select the right blade. Take a look at the top 10 blades here.
And finally, complete your setup with a good forehand rubber (Chinese forehand rubber or hard ESN rubber).
Option 2 – Select the best rackets
Here is the list of the best rackets that fit very well new players in table tennis. I recommend this setup for my players. So don’t worry, these rackets are great for your development.
Read below for the top 3 rackets for beginners.
©PINGSUNDAY. Unauthorized use, translation or duplication of this material is strictly prohibited. Link and excerpt may be used, provided that clear credit is given to PingSunday with the specific link to the original content.
Sign up and join +65k readers. Get free coaching ebooks and coaching advice every week