How to choose the right table tennis racket for your style

How To Choose Your Table Tennis Racket

5 1 vote
Article Rating

“What is the best table tennis blade?”, and “How to select a table tennis racket?” These are the 2 common questions that every new (beginner) table tennis players ask. But I want to answer you “There is no best racket”.

“The best racket is the equipment that suite your playing style”.

How to choose the right table tennis racket for your style
How to choose the right table tennis racket for your style

Do you need a Viscaria blade, a DHS Hurricane 3 national blue sponge rubber and a Butterfly Tenergy 05 professional version to improve your table tennis? No! Choose a good blade for your playing style! Do not choose another one’s paddle. Coach EmRatThich helps you understand your table tennis equipment (racket + rubber) under the viewpoint of a Chinese coach. From now, you can choose your best table tennis combo setup including racket and rubber.

Attentions! Some website just makes a bad review of the paddle. The review is not credible because the equipment is biased to the referral subject.

How to choose the best Chinese table tennis rubber

• table tennis rubber is tacky, which can generate a lot of spin with the proper technique
  • always select the hard but thin Chinese rubber (2.10mm to 2.15mm)
  • always take the harder sponge version (40 to 41 degree)
  • avoid fake Provincial and National rubbers

There are many myths about Chinese rubber. See the video “the truth about Chinese tacky rubber”.

If you want to know the real personal Chinese table tennis rubber of the top players (Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Wang Liqin, Hao Shuai), read this article: “The truth about the Chinese table tennis rubber”.

Please share and rate this article [ratings].

Related Posts

Notify of
guest
17 Comments
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
Steve
Steve
1 year ago

I see lots of players have questions for the coach. Why don’t you exchange with him on his Patreon page so he can have the time to help you. These people have lives too and we should support their efforts instead of expecting everything for free.

Look at the amazing amount of work he has given us for free *Videos and PingSunday.com). We all need to step up and return the favor!

Yukem
Yukem
2 years ago

If I am a forehand dominant, have to choose for tacky or hard rubber , which one is more important choise?

Sujeet
Sujeet
2 years ago

Can I use mercury mars2 rubber with yinhe y13 blade…

Orodizi Avlis
Orodizi Avlis
2 years ago

Hi, coach. I liked the suggestion for choice rubber based in hardness (mainly for begginers). Flexible blade and Hardness Backhand rubber with ~40 degree of hardness. And in Forehand, rubber with hardness between 45-47 degrees. But I’m actually use Butterfly Sapphira on backhand and Forehand on a Butterfly Grubba Blade (I’m begginer). But Sapphira rubber is only 35 in hardness. What rubber I have to choose for more hardness? Thanks.

Igor
Igor
2 years ago

> always take the harder sponge version (40 to 41 degree)

Do you mean DHS scale or 729 scale?

Duncan Lance
Duncan Lance
1 year ago

Wow, I had no idea that so many different factors had to be taken into consideration to make sure that you’re choosing the right tennis racket. I’m particularly surprised to learn that so much of it has to do with picking the right rubber on the racket. After all, I would have never guessed that rubber that is too soft or too hard could have an impact on how the ball is spun.

Kari Kraama
Kari Kraama
1 year ago

I’m older player and problems with my neck. So I can’t play aggressive style any more.
Have you any ideas to choose the playing style and racket/rubber ? I would like play TT because it’s so fun. Thanks in advance

Jan
Jan
1 year ago

Hey Coach, i am currently playing tibhar mx-s in my forehand on inner force zlc. I am an intermediate player, but feel lack of control with mx-s. Should i try a chinese rubber? If yes, which one? Neo or not Nea, Hurricane II or III and blue or normal sponge? Should i boost a little or not? I play very forehand oriented attacking game, with a lot of spin in 3rd ball, but struggle with the plastic ball, because it is now easy to block for my opponents, whereas with celluloid, they alway blocked over the table, because there was… Read more »

hosseinsoleymanpoor
hosseinsoleymanpoor
1 year ago

i am 71years old.have played for 50years,butterfly, sardius,mazanov,photino,and now tibhar( ofensive alfa)with flextra,seriver,mitaku,and corbori play aslooper,attacker,spinner.mydefence and back-hand attacking is weak.please let me know which racket fits me best.thanks

Rocker
Rocker
1 year ago

HI coach
i have a tibhar mx p on fh and rasanter r50 on bh
with stiga clipper
is it nice

Cyan
Cyan
9 months ago

Dear Coach EmRatThich,
based on your recommendations would you recommend having the following set-up:

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive blade (ST) with
Xiom Omega V Asia forehand (sponge: max) and
Xiom Omega Europe backhand (sponge: 2.0)?

The only principle that is not respected is that the Yasaka blade is too cheap compared to the rubbers (80-20% rule). Is it still fine like that or what would you change for a beginner-intermediate player?
Best regards,
Cyan

bilel csattg
bilel csattg
8 months ago

i have blade donic ovtcharov carbon senso1 with 7 ply; rubber blue fire m2 in forehand ;Tenergy 05 in backhand

marcus
marcus
8 months ago

my kid plays Joola Nobilis (1.2mm hinoki outer veneers zylon/carbon)with 50°ESN type backhand rubber and Dhs h3neo in 41° hardness for some time now . This combo has proven to be fast but unforgiving .Coaches have all been not so positive urging for much softer setup but my kid loves the feeling and feedback. fh openup has proven to be a real challenge as without power from the ground there is no hope to produce any quality with thus combo ,no scope for being hesitant or playing half effort .It’s either full commited all in brushing of the ball with… Read more »

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x