How to choose the right table tennis racket for your style

How To Choose Your Table Tennis Racket

“What is the best table tennis blade?”, and “How to select a table tennis racket?” These are the 2 common questions that every new (beginner) table tennis players ask. But I want to answer you “There is no best racket”.

“The best racket is the equipment that suite your playing style”.

How to choose the right table tennis racket for your style
How to choose the right table tennis racket for your style

Do you need a Viscaria blade, a DHS Hurricane 3 national blue sponge rubber and a Butterfly Tenergy 05 professional version to improve your table tennis? No! Choose a good blade for your playing style! Do not choose another one’s paddle. Coach EmRatThich helps you understand your table tennis equipment (racket + rubber) under the viewpoint of a Chinese coach. From now, you can choose your best table tennis combo setup including racket and rubber.

Attentions! Some website just makes a bad review of the paddle. The review is not credible because the equipment is biased to the referral subject.

How to choose the best Chinese table tennis rubber

• table tennis rubber is tacky, which can generate a lot of spin with the proper technique
  • always select the hard but thin Chinese rubber (2.10mm to 2.15mm)
  • always take the harder sponge version (40 to 41 degree)
  • avoid fake Provincial and National rubbers

There are many myths about Chinese rubber. See the video “the truth about Chinese tacky rubber”.

If you want to know the real personal Chinese table tennis rubber of the top players (Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Wang Liqin, Hao Shuai), read this article: “The truth about the Chinese table tennis rubber”.

Please share and rate this article [ratings].

Related Posts

©PINGSUNDAY. UNAUTHORIZED USE, TRANSLATION OR DUPLICATION OF THIS MATERIAL WITHOUT EXPRESS AND WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THIS BLOG’S AUTHOR IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

😊 Please share this article & Comment below

1. If I am a forehand dominant, have to choose for tacky or hard rubber , which one is more important choise?

2. choose hard rubber, tacky is less important. But on Forehand you should hit hard, and with harder rubber, you won’t loose power.

3. Hi, coach. I liked the suggestion for choice rubber based in hardness (mainly for begginers). Flexible blade and Hardness Backhand rubber with ~40 degree of hardness. And in Forehand, rubber with hardness between 45-47 degrees. But I’m actually use Butterfly Sapphira on backhand and Forehand on a Butterfly Grubba Blade (I’m begginer). But Sapphira rubber is only 35 in hardness. What rubber I have to choose for more hardness? Thanks.

4. Wow, I had no idea that so many different factors had to be taken into consideration to make sure that you’re choosing the right tennis racket. I’m particularly surprised to learn that so much of it has to do with picking the right rubber on the racket. After all, I would have never guessed that rubber that is too soft or too hard could have an impact on how the ball is spun.

5. I’m older player and problems with my neck. So I can’t play aggressive style any more.
    Have you any ideas to choose the playing style and racket/rubber ? I would like play TT because it’s so fun. Thanks in advance

6. Hey Coach, i am currently playing tibhar mx-s in my forehand on inner force zlc. I am an intermediate player, but feel lack of control with mx-s. Should i try a chinese rubber? If yes, which one? Neo or not Nea, Hurricane II or III and blue or normal sponge? Should i boost a little or not? I play very forehand oriented attacking game, with a lot of spin in 3rd ball, but struggle with the plastic ball, because it is now easy to block for my opponents, whereas with celluloid, they alway blocked over the table, because there was more spin… is there a rubber, that will enable me again to do crazy spin, hard to block shots? On backhand i use EL-S and i am super happy.
    Thanks so much coach
    cheers

7. i am 71years old.have played for 50years,butterfly, sardius,mazanov,photino,and now tibhar( ofensive alfa)with flextra,seriver,mitaku,and corbori play aslooper,attacker,spinner.mydefence and back-hand attacking is weak.please let me know which racket fits me best.thanks

8. I see lots of players have questions for the coach. Why don’t you exchange with him on his Patreon page so he can have the time to help you. These people have lives too and we should support their efforts instead of expecting everything for free.

Look at the amazing amount of work he has given us for free *Videos and PingSunday.com). We all need to step up and return the favor!

• Thank you Steve. I’m so busy this day. I miss all of you so much. I will return shortly. Best regards.

9. Dear Coach EmRatThich,
    based on your recommendations would you recommend having the following set-up:

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive blade (ST) with
    Xiom Omega V Asia forehand (sponge: max) and
    Xiom Omega Europe backhand (sponge: 2.0)?

The only principle that is not respected is that the Yasaka blade is too cheap compared to the rubbers (80-20% rule). Is it still fine like that or what would you change for a beginner-intermediate player?
    Best regards,
    Cyan

• Hi Cyan. The 80-20 rule is just to say the blade is important. Your setup is great. Ma Ling Offensive is a very good blade for it’s price. Xiom Asia Max on Forehand, and Europe 2.0 is a very very good combo. You have a nice combo! I’m sure!

10. i have blade donic ovtcharov carbon senso1 with 7 ply; rubber blue fire m2 in forehand ;Tenergy 05 in backhand

11. my kid plays Joola Nobilis (1.2mm hinoki outer veneers zylon/carbon)with 50°ESN type backhand rubber and Dhs h3neo in 41°
    hardness for some time now .
    This combo has proven to be fast but unforgiving .Coaches have all been not so positive urging for much softer setup
    but my kid loves the feeling and feedback.
    fh openup has proven to be a real challenge as without power from the ground there is no hope to produce any quality with thus combo ,no scope for being hesitant or playing half effort .It’s either full commited all in brushing of the ball with maximum speed or that ball will not make it past the net , fly 3m high missing the table or you get a punishing return for your
    weak stroke.
    I guess this is not for the average youth player in europe, but when she is in full swing , this is awesome to watch and sucks you straight into the glory feeling of mastering such delicate equipment….