If you are a new player, you should pay attention to your first equipment. Don’t make the same mistake when choosing your first racket. There are many parameters that you should consider to choose the right weight of your racket. Are heavy table tennis racket better than lighter ones? What is the optimal weight of a table tennis racket?
Table of Contents
In table tennis, the weight of a racket can vary from 150g to 250g. A racket is a blade and 2 rubbers (one backhand, and one forehand rubber). In general, a rubber has an average mass of 40-50g. So two rubbers weigh about 80-100g (it also depends on the thickness of the rubber, the density of the sponge, and the size of the blade).
I will classify the blade’s weight in 3 domains: Light, Normal, Heavy.
- Light blade: 75g to 80g. They are all light blade.
- Normal range: from 80g to 87g. Most of the table tennis blades in the market are in this range.
- Heavy side: from 90g to 95g. Used by the advanced player, and most professional players use a custom blade, which is always heavier than the commercial version.
Fact: Fan Zhendong used a 93g custom made blade (Stiga). Ma Long used a 91g DHS custom blade.
Many players insist to use light and lighter blade. Is it really good for you? And you, an amateur player, just want a lighter, lighter, and lighter blade (around 70–80g). I don’t think so.
Advantages of a light racket
- Easier to swing. Easier to spin, and maneuver close to the table.
- But lack of power!
- Lighter blade, with just a small force, you can accelerate it faster.
Is heavier racket better?
- Require good acceleration, and good technique (hit at the right timing)
- Power, Faster, (especially at far to mid-distance)
- Easier to dampen the shot – better for a blocker. Better re-bounce force.
- Better control because the heavier blade will vibrate more (give more feeling) for the hard shots.
- Better power to attack and counter-attack (crucial in the modern table tennis nowadays)
So it’s up to you to choose. I’m using a 91 g table tennis blade for info. But I recommend you more on the heavy side.
For the good of your table tennis, use the heaviest racket as possible as you can. My overall racket is 205 g. What about yours?